logo

file David and Yonatan

• Harold Miller
  • Harold Miller's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago #203 by Harold Miller
Harold Miller created the topic: David and Yonatan
As we see more of Yonatan's character in these perakim, I notice two things.
1. His strong uncompromising faith in G-d combined with courageous battle-waging. This combination makes me realize part of the reason why David and Yonatan would become such fast friends. Of course, their love was "not based on anything," but still, they had a shared value system and approach to life.
2. It makes me feel worse and worse that Yonatan was killed along with Shaul. Even if Shaul had to ultimately be punished for his failings, why did Yonatan suffer the same fate? As R' Muskat pointed out, despite his loyalty to David, he never broke away from his father, either. And Yonatan and Shaul both demonstrate their courage and commitment to G-d and B'nei Yisrael by going into a war that they know they will lose. Still, if I could wish for some counter-factual history, it would've been for David to be King and Yonatan his Sar Tzava.
--Shimon Klayman

--
  • Harold Miller
  • Harold Miller's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 3 months ago #204 by Harold Miller
Harold Miller replied the topic: Re: David and Yonatan
I share your sentiments whole-heartedly. I’ve always harbored “warm feelings” for Yonatan,
going back to the Haftarah that we read most Arvei Rosh Chodesh. He seems to have been
such a regal character in the Sifrei Neviim, and I share that disappointment that he “didn’t
go farther in life!” Who are we to decide?!

(Interesting, that in our culture, so many boys have been named Yonatan!
Perhaps the name David wins out in popularity, but Yonatan must run a close second!)

Shabbat Shalom

Judah Ausubel
Moderators: Josh AbramovitzHarold MillerJanet Awerbuch
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds