• YIO Webteam
  • YIO Webteam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago #166 by YIO Webteam
YIO Webteam created the topic: On Joshua's Personality
One more point on Sefer Yehoshua:

From a literary perspective I'm curious about Yehoshua's character. As compared to Moshe Rabbeinu he is much more of a flat character. We know much less about his personality and his failings, then we do about Moshe's. Perhaps this is not necessary, considering the theme of the Sefer is the Halukah and the starting of the nation in a unified, G-d fearing, way.

Shimon Klayman

Yio Webteam
  • YIO Webteam
  • YIO Webteam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 6 months ago #169 by YIO Webteam
YIO Webteam replied the topic: Re: On Joshua's Personality
But, of course, the question that I think we need to ask is why there appears to be much less unity in Sefer Shoftim than Sefer Yehoshua. Does that have anything to do with the personality of Yehoshua?

As we begin to read Sefer Shoftim, I think that the most basic question that we need to ask ourselves is what is the definition of a shofet – is it a judge? It seems that the stories of the shoftim are for the most part war stories and not “judicial” stories – so perhaps we must redefine the definition of shofet. How is it different than a melekh? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Kol tuv,

Rabbi Jonathan Muskat

Yio Webteam
More
4 years 6 months ago #170 by Harold Miller
Harold Miller replied the topic: Re: On Joshua's Personality
But, of course, the question that I think we need to ask is why there appears to be much less unity in Sefer Shoftim than Sefer Yehoshua. Does that have anything to do with the personality of Yehoshua?

As we begin to read Sefer Shoftim, I think that the most basic question that we need to ask ourselves is what is the definition of a shofet – is it a judge? It seems that the stories of the shoftim are for the most part war stories and not “judicial” stories – so perhaps we must redefine the definition of shofet. How is it different than a melekh? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Kol tuv,

Jonathan Muskat
More
4 years 6 months ago #171 by Harold Miller
We are told that the were judging cases as in the story of Devorah sitting out in the open under the date palm tree judging cases. The war stories were more important because they changed the people's back sliding even if only temporary.The Judge, Shofet, in Judges seem more like a regional power or leader than the King who was the leader of a centralized recognized government. There is less unity as time goes on and the generations are further removed from the miracles that took place in Moshe & Yehoshua's time. Moshe and Yehoshua were strong personalities and positive leaders who made a difference and unfortunately we don't get to see many more like them with the exception of Shmuel, David , Chizkiyahu and Yoshiyahu over the next hundreds of years.

Herb
More
4 years 6 months ago #172 by Harold Miller
To build on Herb's point, according to something I read in the Soncino, Shaul represents a transition between the regional shoftim vs. the strong national leader that David was. Even though he was the king over the whole nation he still remained in his hometown, and never made a switch to a centralized capital city like David did.

Shimon Klayman
Moderators: Josh AbramovitzHarold MillerJanet Awerbuch
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds